Location: Bushehr Province, Asalouyeh
Asalouyeh, situated in southern Bushehr, is a collection of villages now at the heart of one of the world’s largest industrial developments; the Pars Special Economic Energy Zone (PSEEZ), created in 1998. The villages of Asalouyeh district, traditionally based on fishing and farming, are now surrounded by industrial installations. Gas refineries, petrochemical plants, industrial ports, offshore installations, storage facilities and Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) plants are among the dozens of projects operating or under development in the PSEEZ.
The rapid industrialization of the PSEEZ has generated marked social, health, environmental and economic effects among the communities of Asalouyeh. Significant financial resources have been allocated to develop dozens of industrial projects in the region, but few initiatives are in place to ensure corresponding social development within a sustainable framework.
The project seeks to ensure that the industrial projects in the PSEEZ contribute to poverty reduction by generating equitable economic, environmental and social benefits for the different sectors and groups of the Asalouyeh region. Industrialization and economic growth cannot be seen as the sole objective of regional development; ensuring comprehensive social benefits and environmental protection is equally important.
Project activities in Asalouyeh will aim to connect industry leaders, local authorities, communities and policy makers on practical initiatives that contribute to poverty reduction, environmental protection and bettering the quality of life of local people (such as improvements in community health, environmental sanitation and the provision of clean water). The relatively poor communication that exists between industry and local communities; the insufficient knowledge and understanding among local communities about the on-going industrialization process, and their lack of participation in decision-making on local development issues, are key factors that the project will address.
The project has two broad aims:
- to develop the capacity of local communities, civil society organizations, authorities and industry leaders to establish constructive relationships that enable cooperation in addressing priority issues and problems
- and to ensure the participation of local communities and vulnerable groups in decision-making processes regarding issues that affect them.
Field visits and workshops
- Field visit To Asalouyeh and Bushehr – Farvardin 1390 / April 2011 (in Persian)
- Final Asalouyeh Workshop Report with Local Communities and PSE (in Persian)
- Final Workshop report 17 Khordad 1390 / 7 June 2011 (in Persian)
- Travel Report – Meeting with R&D and LCs (in Persian)
- Workshop Report Government Orgs – in Bushehr- Aban 1390 / November 2011 (in Persian)
- Asalouyeh Project Workshop with PSEEZ O & G (in Persian)
- Final Workshops Report – Asalouyeh Project (in Persian)
- Nayband Institute of Sustainable Development – Articles of Association (in Persian)
- List of activities carried out by CENESTA in 2013 (in Persian)
- Stand banner
- Asalouyeh Project – Dialogue and Development in Iran (in Persian)
- Presentation COP18 of the UNFCCC – Asalouyeh (in English)