Salakh ICCAs in Qeshm Island
Location: Qeshm Island (Hormozgan Province)
- Settled villagers of Salakh in Qeshm, native language of Bandari, understand Arabic and Persian;
- Sheelat has had jurisdiction over natural resources in the Persian Gulf since it was established; a special “No-Take” Zone was established by local fishing community which is conserving an endangered marine turtle population;
- Coral reefs as one of the hotspots of biodiversity; ecologically sensitive area (southern Qeshm Island, Persian Gulf);
- Livelihood benefits and income generation aspect for the indigenous and local communities;
- As a result of recent empowering work by NGOs and SGP, the community has gone back to the opportunity of using the sea and natural resources more wisely and saving it for future generations instead of exploiting their natural marine resources unsustainably;
- Rehabilitation of Marine Resources of the Persian Gulf in Salakh Region (Qeshm Island);
- Salakh Community Organization– Council of Salakh Village – Salakh CBO (Community Based Organization);
- Rehabilitation of the natural marine resources through an indigenous method of artificial reefing;
- Integration of Traditional knowledge and modern science in preparing coral rocks.
Reference: Salakh Community Organization – Council of Salakh Village, 2005. Rehabilitation of Marine Resources of the Persian Gulf in Salakh Region, Qeshm Island. Salakh Community Organization – Council of Salakh Village and UNDP-GEF-SGP. Np.